Thursday, December 4, 2008

My favourite month and wobbly moon pics

So it's finally arrived!!!!! My FAVOURITE month!!! Apart from the last 2 years, December has always been synonymous with beach, sea, friends, fruit cake, sunshine, tanning, swimming, eating in general... you get the picture. December 2006 and 2007 was synonymous with IV antibiotics, hospital, hating the heat, not having an appetite, liking the colder/windy days because then I don't feel like I'm missing out on that much, building puzzles...


This year it's COMPLETELY different to either of those scenario's, but I'm fine with that. I'll be working (taking 1 day leave), being independent on my own in JHB most of the time (dad has holiday and is going to PE), flying home from the night of the 24th 'till the 28th, taking Chris home to meet my mom and sis, going to have (hopefully!) a nice New Years eve for a change... the bottom line is that I feel like I'm growing up. The hardest about the 2 crappy Decembers was that my friends were finishing Varsity and starting new jobs and going overseas and all sorts of exciting stuff, while my days consisted of maintaining my breathing/staying alive... boring would be an understatement.

So needles to say, I'm pretty emotional about this Christmas (you'll still be reading about it a lot!!!), and can't stop thanking God and being utterly grateful towards my donor family, who will be going through a difficult time this Christmas, being the first without their loved-one. If only the world had more selfless people like them, then all my friends waiting for lungs wouldn't be spending every minute of this Christmas fighting to breathe. Bree, Louis, Maryke, Meghan, Rachael, Paul... the list goes on.

On a positive note though, there was another lung transplant over the weekend at Milpark. 54-year old guy who had COPD. That makes it 6 transplants this year. Of which I was the only woman and by FAR the youngest one. (And I'm the youngest lung transplantee in South Africa too, btw)

Sooo... enough babbling. My week's been pretty productive. Work's been going well. Had a GRUELING gym session on Tuesday (can barely walk my calves are so stiff), did all sorts of domestic stuff on Monday night. Went to get a script from Dr Williams after work and then had supper with Chris last night. Tonight we're having a church cell social. Tomorrow night Chris and I are going to go see Madagascar 2, and who knows what the weekend will bring... WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED!


P.S. The moon pics are my attempt of taking pics at the special moon thing that happened on Monday night. Venus and Jupiter were right next to the moon (or at least that's how it looked like from earth!). Unfortunately the combination of keeping the window open and Prograf making me tremble, they are VERY blurry. But I thought I'd post them anyway, just for the heck of it.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey Alice!

It is just so humbling to read your posts and remembering how valuable life is. When you have lived through the things you have, and many others too, it isn't surprising you cherish everything. Nonetheless it is still very powerful when I read your posts and realise how much most people take for granted and don't really appreciate things as we should. Thanks for that reminder. :-)

Hope you have a lovely weekend. 19 days and you will be going home for Christmas...

Kelly x

Alice Vogt said...

Thanks Kelly!

Anonymous said...

We praise the Lord for Alice's recovery!
The past two festive seasons were so bleak; I can almost not recall what we did; it was this constant worry about Alice. We are entering this festive season being so thankful for all the blessings.
We are praying for the donar family; may the Lord bless and comfort them.
René
(Alice'mom)