Thursday, September 6, 2018

August, my 34th birthday and 10 months lungaversary

There's only about two more NY blog posts left, but so much has happened since we're back that I need to do a normal post again!

Firstly, I got to see my friend Joey who lives in Quatar! She spent a night in Jozi with us on her way back home after a visit to SA. First time I saw her with the new lungs obviously. We had a great time catching up!


Also, I had my hair cut short... it's the shortest it's been since I was a kid! It was pretty badly damaged from the transplant and subsequent changes in medication. Hopefully this is a fresh start for the remaining hair!

I gave a talk at the annual Organ Donor Memorial Day on the 26th of August. It takes place at the Memorial Gardens in Fourways. It was MUCH more emotional for me that I expected it would be, and I felt like an idiot because I started crying the moment my speech started. I almost never cry. I've considered it worrying how little I cry... like I'm dead inside when it comes to certain things. Well I can rest assured that when it comes to my two donors, I definitely am NOT dead inside. The below pic listing the donors of 2017 is especially touching... one of those people saved my life last year, and I don't know which one. I would recommend all recipients and donor families in SA try to make a point of visiting these gardens at least once. There are two sections in honour of donors. E-mail me and I'll explain to you how to get there!



I have also started attending spinning classes at the gym again, for the first time since early 2013. I love it, and I find it even easier than I did back then! I was a bit nervous with the first class but I did just fine, even outlasting a few other people in the class.


Last Friday was my birthday! The day itself wasn't great, due to some unnecessary stuff that I'm trying to resolve this week (looonng story), but the evening and weekend was great. We had supper with 7 friends at Van Der Linde in Linden. The food was AMAZING, although slightly pricey. We had a great evening with some of my favourite people. Thank you to all my friends who wished me a Happy Birthday and made the evening and weekend special. I love all of you.

P.S. If my hands look like I am a leper, it's because my dermatologist went crazy and burnt 25 little warts/marks on my hands. Lovely.







On Saturday morning Chris and I went to Emmarentia Dam with my sister and Adsie. He is really too cute for words, and I love the little man so much. He has such a happy and friendly little heart, I almost don't want him to grow up! He ran after the ducks, wanting to hug them or some such, and then we had some snacks under a tree. Later in the day they joined us for lunch which was also great. Thereafter Chris and I went for an ice-cream, and watched the sun set (just in time) from Northcliff Hill. On Sunday I met up with Brendan and Marius to support "their" Love Norwood Day. A very cool initiative and quite fun. Wish we had something like that here in Fairland. All in all a great birthday!





My birthday also happened to fall on my 10 month lungaversary!! How cool is that? The first double digit monthaversary (probably not a word). So grateful obviously. May there be another 10 years.


Then LASTLY, I promise, my blog was chosen as Best CF Blog for Motivation! Check out the new badge on the right side! The bright yellow one! It's super cool! Read more here.

No comments: