Thursday, October 30, 2008
On Tuesday night Chris came over, and I prepared dinner for us, after which we went to see a movie. Very cool mid-week (well almost) break! Last night was church cell, which was also great.
I'm hoping to have a quiet evening home tonight... before the weekend starts. Seems like we'll be going to another Halloween party, and who knows what else! Will update again sometime during the weekend! Hope you have a good one!
P.S. I wish I knew a year ago when I was feeling CRAP that I'd be so healthy and happy in a year's time... would've made it a lot easier!!!!!
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Yesterday was a REALLY lazy Monday, but at least the day went by pretty quickely, and I went to gym after work, which was really the last nail in my being-tired coffin! Slept like a baby, and feeling nice and awake today! Hopefully the day goes by as fast as yesterday!
Nothing much else to report, just wishing some friends would get lungs SOON... Andrê is doing well, by the way!!! SOOOO gratefull towards my donor and her family... can't actually put it in words...
Saturday, October 25, 2008
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Saturday, October 18, 2008
Firstly, regarding the pics.... October is Jacaranda month here, and all the Jacarande trees are magically purple, which is STUNNING. The pic on your left here was taken from the balcony at the office, and the others were taken through the windscreen of my car while being stuck in traffic! It's not indigenous, but comes from South America (thank you Wikipedia!), but there are lots of them in Joburg and Pretoria. Pretoria is known as the Jacaranda-city, but JHB officially has more of them (but is also a bigger city by far, so it prob seems like there's less of them.) Anyway, enough about trees....
Yesterday at work there was a medical aid Co doing voluntary health checks and massages and manicures etc. Included in the health check you answer questionaires on the computer, and it then calculates you body's 'real'age according to them! Well my Blood Pressure was a bit high (148/85), and my random glucose was 10 (after lunch that is), but the rest of my numbers were great. The nurse/Dr couldn't believe I had had a transplant! I told him right after I sat down and he asked me "So, do you have any sort of significant medical history?" So I just came right and said "Yes, a double lung transplant" The guy was pretty speechless, but wanted to ask loads of questions and asked me if I could humour him and let him do the tests, which I thought was pretty cool. My age according to them was 30.... but obviously the answers to their questions don't really provide for people that have had transplants! Oh, and the massage and manicure were AWESOME.... (btw... I should have blackmailed them and said they must pay ME NOT to join them... ie pay me R1000 a month and I wont join and cost them like R20 000 a month!!!! It's a win-win situation...)
Last night I went to see a movie with Chris, and I made him and my dad supper beforehand. Tonight we're going to a Halloween themed/dress-up party/housewarming! So we're going to have to go look for costumes today, and are also going to be playing some squash!!!! And I'm going for bloods at about 8am... will be doing lung-functions and seeing Paul somewhere during next week...
On a final note... I was very upset this week about Tricia... seems like her cancer might have spread. This is so disturbing, as a) they've been through hell and back, and b) I've been so fortunate with my health, and I have no dependants/spouses, whereas she has a husband and a baby, and needs her health more than I do. I wish we could understand the ways in which everything works and God's plan....
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
14 Jan 2008
- woke up probably at about 8am, due to not being able to breath while sleeping anymore.
- drag myself to my desk, where I nebulise Venteze, to open up my chest to be able to walk downstairs for breakfast. Takes about an hour in the end, as it triggers massive couching/semi-vomiting fits.
- go downstaits, rest at the kitchen table for a few mins. Stand up, make toast or eat the porrigde my mom force-feeded me (in the nicest possible of ways!!!) in order for me to pick up some weight.
- 'walk' to the PC, facebooked a bit and checked e-mails.
- dragged myself back up to my room, decided I neede some more Venteze, chest felt like it's closing up again. Then did about 1 minute of hypertonic saline but made me want to vomit, so I stop. Nebulise Colistin.
- get dressed, after which I have to sit to catch my breath.
- had physio at 12h00 for about an hour.
- get back home, lay with head on cool kitchen counter for a while, drag myself back upstairs to lay on bed for a while.
- feel better after that, and hang out with Antoinette and someone else for a while. Not sure where or who the other party was, didn't write it down...
- blogged: http://livinglifebreathlessly.blogspot.com/2008/01/finally-some-news.html
- BIG news for the day though: heard that if a woman waiting in the US for lungs decides to come back I could go to Florida to get my lungs there, where the waiting list is shorter... ( that woman eventually got lungs a week later... and so did I)
14 Oct 2008
- woke up at 5:45am, full of energy, lay in my back for a while (couldn't do this before), just because I can.
- get up at 6am, and within 45mins I wash my hair, eat, decide what to wear, get dressed, wash the dishes, chatted to Bree, tidy my room and pack my bag for gym.
- leave for work at 6:45am, and arrive there at 7:30am.
- spend the entire day being normal and not coughing and working and drinking coffee etc... and trying not to eat too much as I'm so normal now I can even get fat, lol!!!
- Apart from the 4 or so people who knows about my transplant, everyone thinks I'm normal.
- Leave at 5pm and head for gym.
- Gym for about 1h20 mins, still have lots of energy. Got home at about 7:15pm.
- eat, relax, blog...
- and will go to bed at about 10pm WITHOUT HAVING TO NEBULISE. Just have to brush my teeth, take my pills, and fall into bed.... thinking lots of wonderfull thoughts ;-)
Don't think I need to say more...
Sunday, October 12, 2008
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Important news first: Annelie finished her run in 1hr 55 mins and 36 seconds!!!!!!!!
Sunday, October 5, 2008
- did shopping
- watched The Other Boleyn Girl on DVD with Jenny
- went to gym
- managed to lose my debit card
- managed to go to the bank today (on a SUNDAY) and replace my debit card with one that is prettier than the old one (mmm, is it worrying to know that I work for a financial institution and worry about how pretty my debit card is???)
- went to church
And that's about it. I have to read up some work-related stuff now, and going to bed early (again) tonight. Hope I have some more interesting stuff to report on during the week!!
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Work's been great. Liking it a lot, even though the first while is always a bit difficult. Feeling so NORMAL :-)