Wednesday, October 31, 2018

LUNGAVERSARY DAY!!!!!!

IT'S OFFICIALLY 1 YEAR WITH THE SECOND "NEW" LUNGS! It really feels rather unreal. Even though I won't be spending my day as planned (more about that later in the post), it's such an amazing day of reflection and gratitude.



A year ago this time I was in theatre already, after being called just after midnight (apparently I missed a call from my Dr just BEFORE midnight!).




What an amazing year it's been!!! If you follow this blog or know me, you will know about all the travels and exercise and fun, so I'm not going to go into that now. All I can say is that I am so relieved to have had my first year without any lung complications! There has been some medication interactions and a bad sports injury (keep reading this post!), but no lung problems or signs of rejection so far. Thank God.

So on Friday I was busy having squash coaching, when suddenly it felt like someone had kicked me hard in the left heel, and I collapsed. It was only painful for an instant, but I couldn't move my foot properly, and there was an obvious "gap" by my Achilles tendon... I went to Casualty, and it was confirmed that my tendon had completely torn. So tomorrow I'm scheduled to have surgery to have it repaired... A bit nervous... I'm getting a spinal block and sedation for it. The recovery process is SUPER LONG! I'm quite upset... I've been cancelling quite a few plans now, and I'm very concerned about the World Transplant Games next year. I've worked so hard to get to this level of fitness and to qualify for squash. Everything seemed to be falling in place and now this...






Unfortunately the fact that I've been using prednisone since roughly age 6, does not help in this case. It's probably a miracle that I haven't injured myself as a result of years of steroid use before... And it means I'm prone for this to happen again. So that's rather depressing. For now I'll just take it one step at a time. Pun intended. Can't wait for tomorrow's surgery and the night in hospital to be done with!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alice, so sorry to read about this temporary roadblock to your plans. Still, you have been through much worse. Try to find the gifts in this down time and enjoy them to the fullest.
Sending love and prayers for recovery,
Sherry Boyle