Sunday, October 27, 2019

Achilles Tendon journey

Yesterday marked a year since I tore my Achilles tendon playing squash. Largely due to years of being on Prednisone, combined with squash and bad luck. It's been a long recovery.... much longer than any of my lung transplant recoveries (how crazy is that??). It's still quite a hectic scar... I try to remember to put tissue oil on, but I forget. All that I really care about is that everything is functioning again and I can DO STUFF again! Below is what it looks like now... All the other scars on my body look great, so hoping this one will eventually follow suit.


The timeline was as follows:

26 Oct - tear tendon
1 Nov - surgery to repair tendon
14 December - cast comes off and instructed to wear a wedge heel.
17 December - fall in my parents' garden and tear open the entire thing, splitting it in all directions (did not post a pic of that, some people might faint)
17 Dec - second surgery to repair tendon and replace with artificial tendon
1 Feb - cast comes off and I get a moon-boot
Wound doesn't look great at the bottom so many visits to wound clinic.
17 March-ish - Moon-boot comes off. Slowly start walking "normally" again.

It took MONTHS to gain muscles back in left leg, a lot of physio... left calf muscles still not back to normal yet. Had to withdraw from the team for the World Transplant Games in Aug this year :-( See pics below (sorry if some of them are still gross):










In other news, TELL was featured in the Rosebank Killarney Gazette last week, and in the Times Online two weeks before that, which is great.

Andrew has also helped me hang my pictures in my flat, so it's really looking nice. The Jacaranda trees are also looking stunning! Pics of all of the above below! ONLY 3 MORE SLEEPS TILL MY 2 YEAR LUNGAVERSARY!!! Will blog again later in the week!




No comments: