Monday, February 28, 2022

Long Overdue Update

Not even 4 months since my last update, and so much to report on. I don't really blog anymore, but don't want anyone to think I've died, so I'm trying to leave proof of life here every few months. 

Mauritius was heavenly. I miss it! We had the best time... snorkelling, drinking rum cocktails, EATING local food, driving around the island. Some pics below...










We got back just in time for the Omnicron variant... perfect timing! My sister, brother in law, niece and nephew all got this Covid variant, but luckily they were all OK. The baby was first to be diagnosed! Thank goodness I hadn't seen them much in that window of time, so I didn't get it. One of my very close lung transplant friends Talia wasn't as lucky though, and has been fighting for her life on ECMO and a vent for about 6 weeks now :-( Heart-breaking. She has triplets who are almost 18 months old at home... as well as a husband. I want her to survive this soooo badly. So many people that I know are not doing OK at the moment.

In much better news, I met the most amazing guy as soon as I came back from Mauritius. His name is Arno. He's 34, also from PE, and all round brilliant. I'll be moving in with him on the 19th of March. Which means moving to Pretoria! I'm not a stranger to Pretoria at least, my grandparents lived there (in the same neighbourhood as Arno actually). Very excited, but I'll still be coming to JHB a lot for family, work, and my many Doctors. I feel like I've won the Lotto with this one!



We spent Christmas in PE, with Arno's parents, and I did my first bit of camping EVER! It was very cool, even though we got soaked in our tent, Definitely an adventure!





Lungs are doing fine on the new meds, lung function was up 2% last time - 94% FEV1. Not bad!!! Gynae will be doing a biopsy again later this week, dermatologist has been burning tiny warts as per usual, had a tooth break. Not much news. Very very thankful to have avoided Covid thus far. Literally all my "normal" friends have had it now. And half my family. Very grateful for the vaccines I've had (as well as all my friends. None of them who got covid post vaccine were very sick. )

I'm also doing a post graduate diploma this year and next. In Financial Planning. Nervous and excited to be studying again. 

I'm hoping to go to my 20 year High School Reunion in April, if time and finances allow. 

I realised the other day that when I was this far out from my first transplant - 4 years 4 months - I had my first bout of rejection. I've had no rejection with these lungs yet, so hopefully that's a good sign. Life is good... I'm thankful every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When are we going to get an update Have missed hearing all your news Maud Stokes