Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Coastal Roadtrip Part 3 - Storms River Mouth

The undisputed highlight of our trip!!!! If you're new to this blog... some background: Storms River Mouth is where some of my best childhood memories were made. It's where I went about a year before my first transplant for a day visit, took photo's, and those photo's were inspiration for surviving transplant. I went there 2 months post first transplant with friends for a day hike, which was AWESOME. We went there for our honeymoon, and have been back there several times since. Before this recent trip, Chris and I haven't been there for our "normal" holiday since 2014. At that time my chronic rejection had already set in, and lung function wasn't ideal, but the holiday was still great. We made a quick stop there in 2016 when Anna was here, but I couldn't even walk to the suspension bridge and was on O2 pretty much 24/7. Below pic is me and my sis at Storms circa 1989 or so.


Needless to say, this visit was a milestone for me. Chris and I survived the last few difficult years, I survived another transplant, I can hike and do fun boat rides again, my lungs are amazing again. Our life is not spend WAITING anymore. We can just BE and enjoy life.





The one day we did the full Blue Duiker Trial and more... and I climbed the equivalent of 100 flight of stairs! I was sooooo proud of the lungs! My left knee and right calf muscle suffered for it, but that's their problem LOL!






We also did a trip on boat into the sea, as well as up the Storms River. It was SO MUCH FUN! Especially the sea part. You shoot up into the air with every wave, and really use your legs when crashing down again. It almost feels like flying, with the wind in your hair, the sea's spray in your face, and doing a lot of air-time with the rubber-duck. The most fun I've had with the latest lungs so far. I'm a super lucky and fortunate girl right now, and I really hope my donor is able to look down on me and see what he/she has given me. I have my life back (again). Overflowing with gratefulness.
















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alice, what a gorgeous place!! I can see why it is your favorite. So glad you had a wonderful times and that your new lungs performed awesomely!!!

Sherry Boyle