Monday, August 13, 2018

9/11 memorial, MoMA

It's 4:52am and I've been awake since midnight, after sleeping for 2 hours! Yesterday we totally overslept and only woke up at noon! Hello Jetlag! Before my day starts (participating in a Organ Donation Hospital Drive in Potchefstroom today), I thought I'd quickly do another blog post, in my attempt to catch up with the NY trip!

The 9/11 memorial and museum is absolutely amazing. Apart from the museum being brilliantly set out, and the memorial pools and new buildings being awesome, it is just so striking. Having been on the other side of the world when it happened, you cannot imagine the devastation and extremely long term impact this has had on the city. Apart from the lives that were lost on the actual day, it has affected the health of so many others who were nearby since then, it crippled an important part of the city for many years, which only seems to be recovering now, 17 years later. This is definitely a "must-see" if you're ever in New York City. This was followed by the most yummy lunch at a really cool old-school dinner!



















On the Thursday we did the Museum of Modern Art, and had supper with a very old friend from school, James, who also happened to be in New York at the same time! I had scallops (as a starter) for the first time in my life... yum!!

I'm very very far from being an art expert. I can appreciate beautiful art though I think. MoMA was thoroughly enjoyable, and seeing some "famous" pieces in real life was super cool.


















2 comments:

D Hans said...

Hello from Houston!! Glad you had such a great trip and got to see so much of the city! I have not been there for many years (pre-9/11). My favorite restaurant of all time is there.

Glad to see you got home safely.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys had a wonderful trip! Great photos of some places I haven't seen -- and I live in the U.S.!!
Sherry Boyle