Sunday, December 9, 2018

Current employment, disability, weekend in Cape Town, Achilles situation

Some news on the working front: I am officially not on my previous company's disability payroll anymore. The most recent reports by my Dr indicated that I'm fit enough to return to work. However... having received a THIRD chance at life, and spending the last 2.5 years of being on disability reflecting on what a balanced life means for me, the consequences that stress has had on my health, and the important things in life... I decided not to return to the corporate rat race.

Instead, I will be working for my life-long friend Andrew. We've known each other since Grade 1, we studied together, but he obviously completed his honours degree and became a Chartered Accountant, unlike me. He also stood by me through 2 lung transplants. He has for the past 3 years been working as an interior decorator, leaving his corporate job to start his own business. He was a finalist for the "Top 35 under 35" CA's recently. I'm officially assisting him with accounting work now. Whoop whoop! I couldn't have asked for a more perfect set-up. The hours are flexible, I have time for decent exercise and sleep, life admin, managing TELL, and Drs appointments. I feel like a productive member of society again! I'm also very lucky to have a supportive husband!!!! So excited for 2019!





Last weekend I was in Cape Town for a few days to meet my very close friend Louzanne's baby girl Olivia! She is 6 months old now, and I don't know when I'll be in Cape Town again, so I made an impromptu decision a few days before I tore the Achilles tendon to go down for a long weekend. I was worried that I'd have to cancel the trip when the Achilles tore, like I had to do with 2 other small trips, but lucky the surgeon was happy for me to go. It was super awesome. I also got to see 2 other friends, Ditha and Carmen, who stay close to Louzanne. There are SO MANY people I'd love to see in Cape Town, but I need a proper period of time there! So it was just was just a short visit to meet the baba. In terms of "touristy" stuff, we managed to have the most amazing high tea at the Mount Nelson Hotel, as well as visit the Zeitz MOCAA art gallery in the waterfront. And of course had some lunches in the vineyards. It was amazing.













Only 5 more sleeps until the cast on my leg comes off!!!! I really cannot wait. The last 2 weeks have been SUPER hot. It's been in the mid-30's (Celsius) almost every day. So my leg in the cast has been unhappy, itchy, sweaty... Friday can not come soon enough! Then the slow process of rehabilitation really starts. I'll be wearing heels for 6 weeks, to aid the repaired tendon. I also need to find out exactly what I may and may not do, to ensure that it heals as well as possible. Being immune suppressed means that technically it will take longer to heal than for a normal person. (I say technically, because previous wounds of mine have healed very well, and in a timely manner, while a cold takes AGES to get over!)

That's all from my side... hope you're getting into the holiday spirit too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The new job sounds perfect for you, Alice!
My best to you and Chris for a wonderful Christmas and a great 2019!!

Sherry Boyle