Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Reflux testings and Home Maintenance!

It's March!!!! Wow! Life has been a bit crazy. We're having ceiling repairs done, so our whole house is a mess, and we've basically moved everything we own into 3 rooms. It should be mostly done by the end of this week, they just need to come back for the spare bedroom after our holiday, because we've been using it! We would never have been able to do this when I was still on oxygen!

Today I had my appointment with the reflux Professor in Centurion. I saw him for a consult, then they did a swallow test, which was not pleasant at all, but I've had worse things done to me! They put a thick-ish sensor-thingy down my nose into my stomach, and then I had to take sips of water and they recorded info of my swallowing. It was NOT fun. Afterwards I had a gastroscopy, which was nice. Because you're sedated! Love sedation! What I didn't love was the 3 attempts to get a drip in and 2 blown veins. During the scope the Prof also placed a "capsule" at the bottom of my esophagus for a 24 hour Bravo pH study. Read more about that here. It's a much better experience than the 24 hour pH probe I had to do 7 years ago. Tomorrow I go back for all the results, and hopefully we can come up with a plan to protect my lungs.

Note-worthy events since my last post was the Rare Diseases Denim Walk at Walter Sisulu Botanical gardens on the 23rd of Feb. Did the walk with Fawn, and managed to walk quite far with the moon-boot on! We also took pics at a genetic facial recognition stand by the University of Pretoria, which was pretty interesting.




This past weekend we also tried out a great new restaurant in Mellville, Ba-Pita. The food is middle-eastern I would say... had an amazing lamb shwarma! I also had a great time doing some book shopping and having lunch on my own at Exclusive Books in Hyde Park on Friday, which felt like a super treat. Plus now I have 2 new books for our holiday that starts on Friday!




And then of course a blog post won't be complete without a picture of Ads! Here he was just being tired and cute. I will try to blog again before we go away on holiday with reflux and lung check-up (on Thursday) results!







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You continue to amaze me, Alice. Congratulations on your blog awards!!
Sherry Boyle