Thursday, September 12, 2019

Deaths, statistics and lung functions!

This past few days, two people that I knew in the lung-community passed away. Amber was 14 years post transplant. I've had contact with her since my first transplant, and she sent me a copy of her book when I had that transplant. She's had chronic rejection for a while, and from what I can see on Facebook, picked up an infection over the last few days and passed away. My heart breaks for her husband and little boy Noah.


Gontlafetse was a Pulomary Hypertention patient here in Joburg, who got lungs a few weeks back, but didn't make it :-( I've met her a couple of times when she's been in hospital. RIP girls...



“There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.”

I'm really hoping the above quote is true. The statistics for a redo bi-lateral lung transplant are pretty terrible. In about 6 weeks' time I'll be part of the 32% of people who've made it 24 months post second transplant.



In any case, I had my best lung function EVER with these lungs today! Soooo chuffed. Been stressing because I've had a sore throat for the last 2 days that I've been doctoring. Lung volume was 120% and FEV1% was 97%. WHOOP WHOOP! Soooooo relieved. To hear your lung Dr say "There is NOTHING about your health that is a concern right now." is like a miracle. Next appointment is on my 2 year lungaversary!


My birthday was fantastic. I had a great time with friends and family, and attended a fancy event on the evening of my birthday on behalf of a fellow transplant athlete. I enjoyed the dressing up! Here's to 35 being the best year EVER!



1 comment:

Robin said...

You are the magic Alice........all you can do is keep on keeping on and loving every minute of it......that is all any of us can do. You are loved. Robin