Sunday, February 25, 2018

Catch up!

Wow I haven't blogged in a while! The past three weeks have been rather action packed with medical stuffs, family visiting from the UK, Love Life; Gift Life, exercising, seeing my nephew whenever I can...

Medical updates: First, very good news regarding my cervix... no hysterectomy needed!!! Two years ago my gynae was considering performing a hysterectomy due to previous procedures as a result of abnormal cells. Back then my lungs were too bad to perform the operation, so I've just been seeing her every 3 months to keep an eye on it. Thank goodness there hasn't been any issues since then... you don't need cervical cancer when waiting for new lungs! Early this month I went back to see her... with great lungs... expecting her to say it's a great time for surgery NOW. She said that she was hesitant to do it, as it's a big surgery, and for the last year and a half my pap smears have been normal.She said that we'd see what the results show this time and make a decision, after discussion with my lung Dr. Well it came back normal, plus "previous abnormalities were not seem"!!! That's brilliant news, and means I can go back onto Everolimus (Certican) in about two months' time. Certican is an anti-rejection drug, but also used for cancer treatment. I've been on it for about the last 4.5 years leading up to my second transplant. The only downside to it is that it prevents healing, which is not an issue if you're not having any big surgeries! It's also much better for the kidneys, so I am excited for changing back to it. In the meantime, my Advagraf levels are FINALLY where we want them to be, with 17mg Advagraf daily. It makes me super shaky, makes my blood sugar higher, and my kidneys hate it, but for now it's the best drug to be on. Below is my morning pills...


On 8 Feb it was 100 days since transplant. It's an important milestone! Yay!!! My lung function dropped a tiny bit in the last 3 weeks, but my Dr doesn't think it's significant and not worried about it. He sent me for a CT scan as well and it was perfect apparently. I'm having a routine biopsy again in about a week and a half's time as well as a Barium Swallow test to make sure there's no reflux. Hopefully the biopsy will also go well like the previous 2. I've been experiencing some anxiety these last 3 weeks as a result of this tiny drop in LF, and friends who have been experiencing rejection lately. Also the higher Tacrolimus levels (Advagraf) can make you anxious. I'm trying to be more relaxed about it all now, and just enjoying the breathing. Esp since worrying might actually CAUSE rejection! It's kind of hard at times being the only redo transplant patient in SA, as no one REALLY gets my health stresses. And decisions regarding my treatment and tests get changed often. Hopefully one day there will be another redo transplant patient and I would be able to be there for them, and be able to put their mind at ease.



My favourite aunt and uncle from England popped by for a visit on the way back from my cousin's wedding. It was so cool to see them again, and talk about our next visit to them! They have recently moved from just outside London towards the direction of Newcastle. That's where the 2019 World Transplant Games will be! Really hoping I'll be participating!




I've also loved every second with my nephew Adriaan... he is growing up so fast!!!! Love that little boy so much! Happiest baby ever! Such a proud aunt!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lots of great news in here, Alice! Keep up the good work!!

Sherry Boyle

Amber Newman said...

I'm very happy to hear your doing so well!! Stay Strong :)

Alice said...

Thanks Amber and Sherry!