Tuesday, May 6, 2008

To-do-list report-back so far...

So I thought I should go back to my to-do list and see how I'm doing...

Here goes...

  • sleep over at someone's house... the last time I did that was middle 2006 somewhere. I slept over at a friend's place without my O2 and didn't sleep much. And I felt horrible the next day. Yup, slept over at both my grandparents' houses and had 3 of my friends sleep over at our place
  • sleep over at someone's house without worrying about coughing them awake at night or being self-concious about my 'heavy breathing'... never Came true when I slept over at grandparents and with friends... they couldn't beleive it...
  • swim in the sea... the last time I went into the ocean was Jan 2007. I walked in and the waves hit me so hard I couldn't stand still to catch my breath and my boyfriend at the time had to hold onto me to keep me from freaking out/passing out/drowning! Would've been very romantic if not for the fact that I was BLUE and exhausted! Not yet, will do so in summer!!!!
  • visit my grandparents in the Karoo and go to their farm... the last time I was there was in Nov 2006. What would've been a nice break after being on IV's for 3 weeks ended abruptly when we had to come home after one day because I couldn't breathe there. Done that!!!!
  • go on a real holiday... I never left PE last year, waiting for THE CALL. My last holiday away from home was in Jan 2006 when I went to Cape Town with friends. It was after that trip that my health started deteriorating fast. Well we spent the night at Storms River, which was a bit short, but it still counts!
    RUN... this is one of the biggest ones. I haven't been able to run for about 5 years, and even before that it was only short distances. I actually used to be in my school's athletic team when I was 9/10 years old! I might have forgotten how to do it :-) I'M DOING IT!!!!! And loving it!!!
  • go for a early morning walk on the beach... my mom and sister always jog along the beachfront early in the morning, but I've never been able to even walk then, as early in the morning was my COUGHING TIME!!! That's when 8/9 hours' worth of packed up mucus had to come out! Done that as well, was great.
  • getting a job with my degree... never Working on that one...
  • survive without electricity... never. I always needed electricity for nebs or O2. Now I don't. My transplant's timing was excellent in light of (no pun intended) Eskom's power cuts! Survived all the loadshedding!!!
  • Not having people ask me about my cough and seeming 'normal'... almost never. Yup, especially now that I don't have to wear my mask all the time!!!

AND... a new one... I've started gymming!!! Joined the Virgin Active gym yesterday, and went for my first work-out this morning. Did 30mins of cardio (ran/walked 2km and cycled 3km) and did some leg stuff. Not a lot, but I'm going again tomorrow afternoon!!! Don't want to hurt myself by working out too hectically too soon. Being responsible... :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alice Sorry i didnt respond to your last email - i did but never sent it (silly me)
im so happy you made you 100 days with no incident!!!
Mail me when you are free id really love to meet you (if you would like)

Anonymous said...

Hi Alice
Nice post! I visited the Carte Blanche website today and asked them directly to consider doing a follow-up to their Alex of Eton documentary using us to bring a little hope into the hearts and minds of people (especially in SA) with CF and to appeal for people to become card carrying organ donors. I referrred them to your blog too. See you tomorrow. Peter Leid (CF Man)

Alice Vogt said...

Thanks Peter! Great that you mailed Carte Blanche... how cool would it be if we could be on TV!!!!

cindy baldwin said...

Alice, hi! You may not remember me but this is Cindy from Teens with CF. I just stumbled on your blog and saw your GREAT TRANSPLANT NEWS! Congrats Alice, that is so wonderful! I am thrilled for you!

~Cindy

Anonymous said...

That is really great that you're doing the stuff on your list. I'm jealous.

Unknown said...

Fantastic news!! Your recovery has been amazing! Well done on getting things ticked off your list.